Meet Your PD Needs: The 2013 Whole Child Virtual Conference Is Free and Exclusively Online
As we've said many times across this blog and in our newsletters and podcasts, we believe that a whole child approach to education is the only approach that prepares young people for long-term educational, civic, and work-life success. We believe that most educators know that to be true, but sometimes act in ways quite contrary to their beliefs. We believe a whole child approach is a relatively simple concept that is quite complex to put in place.
For those reasons and more, we invite you to participate in ASCD's third annual Whole Child Virtual Conference. Entitled "Moving from Implementation to Sustainability to Culture," sessions will offer educators around the globe leadership discussions and strategies to support their work to implement and sustain a whole child approach to education.
From Monday, May 6, through Friday, May 10, daily general sessions will be presented live between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., eastern time. There will also be two international pre-conference sessions held on Friday, May 3, 2013. The Australasian section will be held 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. (Sydney, Australia time) with special presentations for audiences in the Australasian region. The European section will be held 2:00–4:00 p.m. (London, England time) with input from key European education experts.
The full agenda and registration information is available at www.ascd.org/wcvirtualconference.
Scheduled speakers include
- Pasi Sahlberg, director general of the Centre for International Mobility and Cooperation in Helsinki, Finland, and an internationally renowned education speaker and writer;
- Michael Fullan, professor emeritus of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto and a worldwide authority on educational reform;
- Andy Hargreaves, the Thomas More Brennan Chair in the Lynch School of Education at Boston College and an internationally recognized researcher, writer, consultant, and adviser;
- Josh Garcia and Ryan Twentey, winners of ASCD's 2013 Outstanding Young Educators Award;
- Educators from Oregon's Milwaukie High School, the 2013 Vision in Action: The ASCD Whole Child Award-winning school; and
- Principals from ASCD Whole Child Network schools.
Prominent ASCD authors, experts, and education thought leaders will also present. The lineup includes Thomas Armstrong, Walter McKenzie and Thomas Hoerr, Wendy Ostroff, William Parrett and Kathleen Budge, and Yong Zhao.
Visit www.ascd.org/wcvirtualconference to register and learn more. Participate with us in this online learning event open to all who believe each child, in each school, and in each community deserves to be healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged.