Dagang Elemantary School, Tainan, Taiwan
Tainan Municipal Dagang Elementary School, which was founded in 1988, currently has 44 classes and 1201 students. The school has been dedicated to school health promotion and has received numerous awards, including the 2012 Health Promoting School International Accreditation Gold medal from the Health Promotion Board, Ministry of Health and Welfare.
The school's key to success lies within 11 major aspects:
- Establishment of a school health committee (interdisciplinary teams, regular meetings, formulate plans into school calendar, and implementation)
- Integrating health issues into school curriculum so that teaching and activities can complement one another
- Comprehensive implementation in the 6 dimensions (school policy, physical environment, social environment, community relationships, and personal health skills)
- Collaborate with local hospital/community resources to form partnerships and broaden participation
- Perform a statistical analysis to examine program performance and encourage staff to participate in research
- Hold an award ceremony to reward excellences: “white teeth and bright eyes awards”, “healthy fitness awards”, and “reaching BIM standards award”
- Raise awareness and participation with parents and communities through the publication of school newsletters and media
- Quality control and seek excellence: execute plans in accordance to principles.
- Learning through observation and experience sharing: encourage staff to take training courses and to share knowledge by making and sharing reports in meetings
- Establish a dental health center: Treatment station, dental chair, complete hardware. Resident dentist Dr. Wang has been a volunteer dentist for over 20 years.
Establish Health promotion website: allocate a specialist in the maintenance of the data on this website.